June 10, 2008

The Year of the Owl

Last year it was the bird silhouette. This year it is the owl. These wise little creatures are showing up everywhere, from fabric to fashion to toys to home décor. A recent search of etsy showed just how big the craze is. Here’s a peek at some that caught my eye.

Owl Crafts

Clockwise from top left: notecards from polkadotshop, softie from rabbitsmoon, pendant from ItsAllAboutThePrint, onesie from veryKIKI

Owl Home Decor

Clockwise from top left: vase from fruitflypie, print from yumiyumi, pillow from Cuore, paper sculpture from matteart

Without knowing it I was way ahead of the owl bandwagon. I found this owl cross stitch at the Grafton Flea Market last summer for the bargain price of a quarter. Originally, I just picked it up for the small wooden embroidery hoop but I liked the little fellow and decided to keep him. He now proudly sits above my sewing table, just over a painting of a wooded area. How appropriate.

Cross-stitch owl

1 comment:

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

I love the simplicity of your embroidery, and the way it somehow manages to look like a very young owl. And for a quarter--sweet!